Kahley Novak begins her second season for the Dallas Charge in the National Pro Fast Pitch League on June 3rd against the Pennsyvania Rebellion. Novak spoke to Eric Lopez about preparing her for second season in the league. Novak learned alot in her first season and will look to take advantage of the experience she gained to her advantage this season.
Novak was among the leaders in the NPF in 2015 in Stolen Bases with seven which is fitting as she is the Stolen Base Queen of UCF being the all-time leader in stolen bases in a career and in a single season ( 43 in 2015 tied with Natalie Land) at UCF. Novak played in 30 games in her rookie season hitting .267 as the Charge made the NPF Playoffs.
Novak talked about many topics including
- Outlook of the Dallas Charge 2016 season
- Support of the Charge fans
- Novak thoughts on the NPF and growth of the league
- Novak favorite memories of her 1st season in the NPF
- Novak reaction to Shelby Turnier getting Drafted on NPF Draft Night
- What it going to be like to face Turnier?
- Impact of UCF being able to develop players to next level
- Novak thoughts on UCF 2016 Season
- Novak favorite UCF Moment?
- What does Novak want to do post Softball career?
In her four seasons at UCF, Kahley Novak was part of UCF Softball first ever regular season championship in program history as the Knights won two American Conference Regular season Championships (2014,2015) and American Conference Tournament Championship in 2015. Novak was part of the ” Fab 5″ Senior class that included Novak, Mackenzie Audas, Farrah Sullivan, Maddy Schroeder and Blaire Kelly that help the Knights program reach new heights including first ever top 25 ranking in program history and were part of 161 wins as a group during the four years which included three NCAA Tournament appearances. On March 13, 2015 Novak broke Natalie Land’s Stolen Base career record in the bottom of the first against Monmouth right after Audas broke UCF Softball career strikeout record in the top of the first breaking the record set by Allison Kime.
Kahley Novak Career Accomplishments at UCF
- UCF Softball career record holder in stolen bases (125)
- UCF’s 2nd highest NPF draftee, selected 16th by the Dallas Charge in 2015 behind only Shelby Turnier being selected 11th overall in 2016 by the Chicago Bandits.
- 2015 NFCA Mideast All-Region First Team
- 2015 Unanimous All-American Athletic Conference First Team
- 2015 All-AAC Tournament Team
- 2014 NFCA Mideast All-Region
- 2013 NFCA Division-I Scholar Athlete
- 2012 C-USA All-Freshman Team
- C-USA Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll (2012)
- 2014, 2015 American Conference Regular Season Champion
- 2015 American Conference Tournament Champion
- 2012, 2014, 2015 NCAA Tournament Appearances
- 2014, 2015 NCAA Tournament Regional Finalist.
In 2015, Novak became the 4th player in UCF Softball History to play in the NPF joining Stephanie Best (2005-2008, 2010), Allison Kime (2008-2009), and Breanne Javier (2009). Novak was the second Knight joining Stephanie Best to be drafted in the NPF Draft as Novak was selected 16th overall in 2015, 10 years after Stephanie Best was the first ever Knight to be drafted into the NPF.
Kahley comes from a family with great athletic back ground in fact getting drafted in a Profesional Sports League is nothin new in the Novak family. Kahley’s Father Tommy Novak was the ace pitcher for Head Coach Jay Bergman’s UCF Baseball program from 1984-1986 got drafted in the 10th round of the 1986 Major League Baseball Draft by the Cincinnati Reds. Kahley and Tommy are first ever UCF Father and Daughter combination to be drafted in two different pro sports leagues at UCF.
Kahley though got her speed from her mom Patti who played Basketball at Lake Brantley playing the point guard position.
You can listen to Kahley Novak’s radio interview a week ago on the Radio Station that carries the Dallas Charge games.