Eric Lopez talks with Kentucky Head Coach Rachel Lawson about the Wildcats program as well as her involvement with the NPF’s ScrapYard Dawgs this summer as an asst coach. Among the topics Lawson discussed in the interview include :
- Why Lawson joined the ScrapYard Dawgs?
- What she learned coaching in NPF?
- The Difference between NPF and College?
- How Lawson balances job at Kentucky with ScrapYard Dawgs?
- Look back at Kentucky players in the NPF
- Reflect on Kentucky’s 2016 season
- Early peak at Kentucky’s 2017 season
- How Kentucky has competed in the SEC
Lawson will be entering her 10th season as Kentucky’s head coach in 2017. Lawson had led the Wildcats to four NCAA Super Regionals in the last five seasons, including the program’s first-ever appearance in the Women’s College World Series back in 2014.
In three of the last four seasons, Lawson has led the Wildcats to a national seed in the NCAA Tournament including a No. 9 seed this season after finishing in second place in the SEC in the Regular season. The Wildcats hosted an NCAA Regional for the first time ever in 2013. Under Lawson, Kentucky has made the NCAA Tournament each of the last eight seasons.
Lawson was named the 2016 SEC Coach of the Year, and joined Kelsey Nunley (SEC Pitcher of the Year) as the first two Kentucky winners of those awards.