On this edition of In The Circle, Eric Lopez talks with first year Houston Cougars Head Coach Kristin Vesely about the upcoming 2017 season. Among the topics Vesely discussed include.
- Transition from Asst Coach to Head Coach
- Bringing in Megan Gibson-Loftin to handle the pitching staff
- Bringing in Jessica Shults
- Influence Oklahoma’s Patty Gasso has on her career
- How Softball changed from when Vesely played at Oklahoma to now coaching.
- Outlook for Houston’s 2017 season
- Importance of having former Cougars Players like former All-American Angel Shamblin around the program?
- Outlook of the American Conference
Vesely joined the Houston Softball program in 2011 as the Cougars’ assistant coach before being promoted to associate head coach in 2014. Vesely was named the second head coach in the program’s history in June.
Vesely is the Sooners all-time hits leader (293) as she played at Oklahoma from 2003-2006 being named to the All-Big 12 team in each of her four years and an NFCA All-American for her junior and senior seasons.
The Cougars have a tough schedule in 2017 playing 13 teams who played in the NCAA Tournament in 2016 including defending National Champions Oklahoma who comes to Houston on weekend of February 17-19 as part of tournament Houston is hosting which also includes Ole Miss.